- The Federal government is increasingly isolated from the challenges faced by ordinary Australians.
- The political class, including the media and bureaucracy, live in a Canberra Bubble.
- We propose a plan to burst the Canberra Bubble and bring about more transparency, accountability and efficiency to government.
The Canberra Bubble
The 'Canberra Bubble' isolates politicians and the bureaucracy. Australian Conservatives believe there is a better way, where principles are put before politics, and policies are more important than personalities. We must bring transparency, accountability and efficiency to government.
1. Stop Post Parliamentary Benefits
Benefits handed out to politicians after they leave parliament are not reflective of societal expectations and Australian Conservatives will stop any new payments for former politicians. Those who have qualified previously for Parliamentary Pensions will only be eligible to receive them upon reaching retirement age. Further, whilst recognising the status of the office of Prime Minister, a former Prime Minister must serve a minimum of four years in that position to be eligible for post-Parliamentary benefits.
2. Reform the rules on donations to political parties
Donations to political parties, candidates and associated political entities should only be made by individuals and capped at an annual amount. All contributions in excess of the disclosure threshold should be disclosed in real time.
3. Disclose the costs of operating political offices